Monday, March 31, 2014

Helping without judgement

I was listening to Dr. Brene Brown last night and she absolutely challenged me to to do some life work on myself.  One of the powerful statements that she made was:

"When you cannot ask for help with self-judgement, then you never really help others without judgement of that person."

Wow!  That sat me back in my seat to think about this.  In Mark 12:31 it says: "The second is this: 'Love your neighbor as yourself.' There is no commandment greater than these."   I thought I had an understanding of this verse, but when I think about applying this principle to myself it looks like this:  I am in need and I refuse to ask for help because I am too proud to let anyone know I am struggling.  I care more about my self-image and the standard of perfection I am attempting to maintain.  One day, my neighbor comes over and tells me that they are struggling and cannot keep their house due to financial difficulties.  In keeping with how I treat myself, I look down on my neighbor for reaching out.  They should be able to figure it out without telling everyone are my secret thoughts and judgement upon them.  I may smile on the outside and appear to listen, but because of the prideful standard I think I am adhering to, I don't really show up for my neighbor's pain nor do I give them an authentic picture of who I am or who God is!   

So back to Mark 12:31:  Love your neighbor as yourself.  When you are in need, when you are struggling emotionally, sinking in a tragedy, overwhelmed by a parenting situation, or anything else.....BE COURAGEOUS and reach out!  Asking for and getting help is not a sign of weakness, but rather of incredible strength!   After all, how in the world can you show up for someone Else's pain, when you are too proud to even deal with your own!


Please take a moment to go to Dr. Brene Brown's website.  She has a real way with powerful statements and much of her work is worth reading!  Thank you Brene!  You made a real difference in my life!
http://brenebrown.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment